Industrial Energy Processes and Sustainability
Energy consumption in industry has a great impact on the sustainability of the energy system and the society as a whole. Understanding, managing and designing energy intensive industrial processes resource efficiently is a key issue in the field of energy. This major provides understanding of energy and process industry, their main challenges and the possibilities for development. The major addresses engineering knowledge involved in energy intensive industrial processes, heat and power processes, biomass conversion and energy efficiency in the industry. Students in the major gain a strong education of energy technology as well as a deep knowledge of the advanced areas.
The major offers a firm theoretical base as well as practical tools and skills needed by engineers working on the field of industry. In order to prepare students for understanding complex and multidisciplinary problems of the field, the major is designed to be flexible. Courses include theoretical considerations, experimental work, industrial applications, and first-hand experience. The major prepares students for current and future challenges faced by energy companies, manufacturing industry, consulting companies and society. Students are well-prepared to pursue doctoral studies.
Upon completion of the major, the student will be able to:
- Understand the existing and emerging biomass sources for sustainable industrial use
- Understand the theory, design and operation of energy related industrial systems
- Understand fundamentals of bio-based thermochemical processes
- Apply proper tools and software to simulate and design energy-related processes
- Analyze systems with the principles of thermodynamics, energy balances, and heat and mass transfer
- Analyze energy efficiency of industrial processes and systems
- Create solutions for energy intensive industry