Doctoral Programme Committee aims to develop the doctoral education and research of the Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture. It nominates supervisors, thesis advisors, pre-examiners and opponents for doctoral dissertations, and evaluates dissertations. It also evaluates applications to doctoral studies.
Items to be put on the agenda should be submitted to the secretary of the Commitee well in advance. Contact information for further details (Into).
Doctoral candidates will be informed of the decisions concerning them after the meeting - please note that email meetings end within 3 days of the start of the meeting.
|Deadline for proposals||Meetings|
|Fri 15.1.2021 (end of day)||email meeting starting on Tue 26.1.2021|
|Fri 5.2.2021 (end of day)||email meeting starting on Tue 16.2.2021|
|Fri 5.3.2021 (end of day)||email meeting starting on Tue 16.3.2021|
|Wed 31.3.2021 (end of day)||email meeting starting on Tue 13.4.2021|
|only admission issues||Tue 4.5.2021|
|Fri 14.5.2021 (end of day)||email meeting starting on Tue 25.5.2021|
|Fri 11.6.2021 (end of day)||email meeting starting on Tue 22.6.2021|
|Fri 20.8.2021||Mon 30.8.2021|
|Fri 10.9.2021||Tue 21.9.2021|
|Fri 8.10.2021||Tue 19.10.2021|
|Fri 12.11.2021||Tue 23.11.2021|
|Fri 3.12.2021||Tue 14.12.2021|
|Deadline for proposals||Meetings|
|Fri 10.1.2020||Tue 21.1.2020|
|Fri 31.1.2020||Tue 11.2.2020|
|Fri 28.2.2020||Tue 10.3.2020|
|Fri 27.3.2020||Tue 7.4.2020|
|only admission issues||Tue 5.5.2020|
|Fri 15.5.2020||Tue 26.5.2020|
|Fri 5.6.2020||Tue 16.6.2020|
|Fri 14.8.2020||Tue 25.8.2020|
|Fri 18.9.2020||Tue 29.9.2020|
|Fri 9.10.2020||Tue 20.10.2020|
|Fri 30.10.2020||Tue 10.11.2020|
|Fri 4.12.2020||Tue 15.12.2020|
The doctoral programme committee shall
- develop the content of the doctoral programmes and the joint studies offered by the school;
- put forth proposals to the school academic committee on the fields of research in doctoral programmes;
- prepare proposals for the Dean on admission of doctoral students;
- appoint the preliminary examiners of dissertations and decide on the permission for public defence of dissertation;
- appoint the opponents for doctoral dissertations;
- evaluate the dissertations;
- appoint the examiners of licentiate theses;
- evaluate licentiate theses; and
- perform other duties assigned to it by the Dean or in the degree regulations.
In addition, the doctoral programme committee shall, unless it has assigned the chair to decide on any of the matters:
- appoint a supervising professor and advisor(s) for the doctoral student;
- decide on the degree language of the doctoral student, and on the topic and language of the licentiate's or doctoral thesis;
- confirm the individual study plans of doctoral students;
- decide on the time and language of the of public defence of the doctoral dissertation, and appoint the custos for it.
The doctoral programme committee comprises a chair and 4 – 6 professorial members merited in doctoral education and representing the central fields of research of the school. One of the professorial members may be from another school within Aalto University. In addition, the committee has a doctoral candidate member representing the fields of research of the school. The committee elects a vice chair from among its members. The committee may have deputy members.
The term of the Doctoral Programme Committee is four calendar years. The term of the current committee continues until the end of year 2023. Student representatives are appointed for one calendar year at a time.
Chairperson, Vice Dean Turkka Keinonen
Prof. Kimmo Lapintie
Prof. Ranja Hautamäki
Prof. Susanna Helke
Prof. Sofia Pantouvaki
Prof. Lily Diaz-Kommonen
Prof. Teemu Leinonen
Prof. Guy Julier
Prof. Kirsi Niinimäki
prof. Mira Kallio-Tavin
Prof. Paula Hohti
|doctoral candidate Oleksandra Suschenko 2021||doctoral candidate Luis Vega 2021|