The goal of the programme is to train doctors in chemistry, material sciences, biomaterials, bioeconomy of renewable materials, biotechnology, materials for energy solutions, chemical engineering, industrial and automation engineering related to process industry and management to serve in the academic world, public sector and industry and commerce.
The main purpose of doctoral education is to teach the student to create new scientific knowledge via scentific methods and theories. During the research and studies you will learn what it takes to be a professional academic researcher.
If you consider applying for doctoral studies, you should deliberate at least these questions:
- Doctoral degree is a basic requirement for a career in academia. What are your career plans and do they demand a doctoral degree?
- What are your motives to apply for doctoral studies? To clarify your thoughts, read this essay of Purdue University. Watch this video of making Dr. degree research.
- To make a doctoral dissertation takes at least 3-4 years. Are you persevering enough?
- What kind of knowledge, skills and advantageous contacts you already possess to help you with your future studies? What would you still need to acquire?
- Are you willing to continually challenge yourself and your knowledge in order to learn more?
- Are you ready to put a strong effort on learning various communication skills, write scientific papers and make conference proceedings?
- Do you want to learn and develop new scientific knowledge also in those fields that you first did not even think about?
- Use Research Gate and Google Scholar to find out which research groups do active research on the topics which match your interest. Do they have open position(s) for new doctoral students or do you need to find another source of funding, such as national funding? Finland has minimum income requirement for researcher moving here, see all related information from Finnish Immigration office web pages.
Warning: active scientific research work can cause positive addiction. It is a proven fact that professional researchers work longer hours and retire later than the professionals in many other fields.
Doctoral education is actually an apprentice in close collaboration with your thesis advisor(s) and supervising professor. You will spend 3-4 years working intensively on research topic, and complete this with your intellectual piece of work, i.e., doctoral dissertation. Along the road, you will be involved with theory courses, seminars, research collaboration activities, teaching undergraduates and supportive tasks needed to make your department and research group able to operate.
Story of research: see video of the collaboration between Aalto University, Helsinki University and MARIMEKKO at the research work with cellulose from birch wood and ionic liquid and also other videos of Ioncell-F process, wood into garments and Slush100 talk of Ioncell F
Doctoral studies are not the only way to improve and maintain your knowledge of science and technology:
- With the right to pursue non graduate studies you can improve your professional know-how and participate to the doctoral level courses at Aalto University.
- Doctoral level courses pursued after the Master’s degree can later be included to your doctoral studies.