Doctoral Education Networks
The Finnish researcher training system was established in 1995 and has been gradually expanded ever since. The national graduate schools have been financed by the Ministry of Education and Culture, the universities and the Academy of Finland. From beginning of 2014, funding for new doctoral student positions is allocated to universities. The current terms for most national graduate schools expire at the end of 2013 with some schools however carrying on until the end of 2015.
Most of the graduate schools are networked projects jointly run by several universities, in which older and younger researchers work in research groups together with graduate students. This creates an innovative environment conducive to research quality and a learning environment which inspires graduate students. The graduate schools provide systematic education and guidance for the doctoral students.
From beginning of 2014, at Aalto University School of Science the funding for doctoral studies is allocated to departments who take care of the usage of funding for employment of full-time doctoral students. In order to continue the collaboration in doctoral education between universities, new doctoral education networks have been established. Most of the networks are based on graduate schools, but also new networks have been established.
Doctoral Education Networks coordinated by the School of Science
- Doctoral Education Network in Systems Analysis, Decision Making and Risk Management
- Tuotantotalouden tohtorinkoulutusverkosto
- Doctoral Programme Brain & Mind
- Education Network in Condensed Matter and Materials Physics (CMMP)
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Design, and Mathematics: Learning and Educational Technology Doctoral Training Network (STEAM-LET)
- Doctoral education newtork in nuclear science and technology (NST)
- Finnish Doctoral Education Network in Stochastics and Statistics (FDNSS)
Other Doctoral Education Networks
- Helsinki Doctoral Education Network in Information and Communications Technology (HICT)
- European Network on Forest Products Technology Research (PaPSaT)
- Lääketieteellisen tekniikan ja fysiikan tohtorinkoulutusverkosto (iBioMEP)
- Modernin optiikan ja fotoniikan tohtorinkoulutusverkosto
- Mathematics of Engineering Sciences
Aalto University is also a partner in EIT ICT Labs Innovation and entrepreneurship (I&E) program for doctoral students in the field of ICT, which gives knowledge and competences to start new businesses and to launch new products and services. More information from the Doctoral Training Center Helsinki -webpage and local program representatives.
Former graduate schools
Terms of graduate schools ended during years 2013-2015
- The National Graduate School in Materials Physics. Ended on 31 December 2013. Continues as CMMP-network.
- The Graduate School in Systems Analysis, Decision making and Risk Management. Ended on 31 December 2013. Continues as education network.
- The Graduate School in Computational Sciences
- The Future Internet Graduate School. Ended on 31 December 2013.
- The Doctoral Programme in Industrial Engineering and Management
- The Doctoral Programme of Nuclear Engineering and Radiochemistry