Each school will implement their doctoral education in the form of doctoral programmes, which will include all doctoral students of the Aalto University Schools of Technology. The Dean of the School appoints a Head who is in charge of the programme’s function and of the enhancement and coordination of doctoral education together with the Doctoral Programme Committee. The Academic Committee for Science will appoint a Doctoral Programme Committee to support the Head.
According to the regulation 8§, the school has a Doctoral Programme Committee that has, in addition to the Chair, at least four professor members that represent the key research fields and have excelled in the doctoral studies. One of the professor members can be from another school of Aalto University.
The term of office of the Doctoral Programme Committee is three calendar years.
Doctoral Programme Committee 1.1.2017 - 31.12.2019
|Professor Tapio Lokki, Chair||Department of Computer Science|
|Professor N. Asokan||Department of Computer Science|
|Professor Adam Foster||Department of Applied Physics|
|Professor Alexander Engström, Vice Chair||Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis|
|Professor Jukka Tulkki||Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering|
|Professor Riitta Smeds||Department of Industrial Engineering and Management|
|Doctoral student Alex Karrila (from 1.8.2018)||Represents doctoral students at all departments|
|Professor Jan Holmström||Department of Industrial Engineering and Management|
|Professor Mathias Groth||Department of Applied Physics|
|Doctoral student Olli Halminen (from 1.8.2018)||Represents doctoral students at all departments|
The duties of the Doctoral Programme Committee are (from 1.8.2018)
- to prepare the selection of the Doctoral Programme applicants for the Dean’s decision;
- to approve the topic and language of the thesis, the language of degree and the full-time/part-time status of the student;
- to approve the study plans of the Doctoral Programme applicants;
- to appoint the preliminary examiners and opponent(s) for doctoral dissertations and decide on the permission for public defense; to grade dissertation;
- to appoint the examiners for licentiate thesis; to grade licentiate thesis; and
- to discuss or decide other matters appointed by the Dean or stated in the degree regulations.
The Chair of the Doctoral Programme Committee
- appoints a new supervising professor or thesis advisor, if the supervising professor or thesis advisor changes after the start of the doctoral studies, but before the pre-examination begins;
- decides on the language of degree, the topic, and language of the licentiate or doctoral thesis, if they change after the start of the doctoral studies, but before the pre-examination begins;
- confirms the study plans of doctoral students; however, if the decision on an individual study plan requires wider discussion, the Chair can take the matter to the Doctoral Programme Committee for decision;
- decides on the time and language of the public examination of the doctoral dissertation and appoints the custos, if they change;
- confirms the full-time / part-time status of the doctoral student, if it changes after the start of the doctoral studies.