The Doctoral Programme Committee comprises a Chair and 4 – 6 professorial members merited in doctoral education and representing the central fields of research of the school. One of the professorial members may be from another school within Aalto University. In addition, the Committee has a doctoral candidate member representing the fields of research of the school. The Committee elects a Vice Chair from among its members. The Committee may have deputy members.
The term of the Doctoral Programme Committee is three calendar years.
The Doctoral Programme Committee shall:
- develop the content of the doctoral programmes and the joint studies offered by the school;
- put forth proposals to the school academic committee on the fields of research in doctoral programmes;
- prepare proposals for the dean on admission of doctoral candidates;
- appoint the preliminary examiners of dissertations and decide on the permission for public defence of dissertation;
- appoint the opponents for doctoral dissertations;
- evaluate the dissertations;
- appoint the examiners of licentiate theses;
- evaluate licentiate theses; and
- perform other duties assigned to it by the dean or in the degree regulations.
In addition, the Doctoral Programme Committee shall, unless it has assigned the Chair to decide on any of the matters:
- appoint a supervising professor and advisor(s) for the doctoral candidates;
- decide on the degree language of the doctoral candidate and on the topic and language of the licentiate or doctoral degree;
- confirm the study plans of doctoral candidates;
- decide on the time and language of the of public examination of the doctoral dissertation and appoint the custos for it.
The Doctoral Programme Committee assigned the following matters to the Chair of the Doctoral Programme Committee from 1.8.2018 onwards:
- appointing a new supervising professor or thesis advisor, after the start of the doctoral studies, but before the pre-examination begins;
- deciding on the degree language of the doctoral candidate and on the topic and language of the licentiate or doctoral thesis, if the change is done after the start of the doctoral studies, but before the pre-examination begins;
- confirming the study plans of doctoral candidates; however if, for example, the decision of an individual study plan requires wider discussion, the Chair can reassign the matter to the Doctoral Programme Committee.
- deciding on the time and language of the public examination of the doctoral dissertation and appointing the custos, if these have not been decided at the same time as the opponent or if they change; and
- confirming the full-time / part-time status of the doctoral candidate, if it changes after the start of the doctoral studies.
Members of the Doctoral Programme Committee 1.1.2020 - 31.12.2022
|Professor Adam Foster, Chair||Department of Applied Physics|
|Professor Jussi Rintanen ||Department of Computer Science|
|Professor Jan Holmström||Department of Industrial Engineering and Management|
|Professor Alexander Engström||Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis|
|Professor Iiro Jääskeläinen||Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering|
|Doctoral candidate Antti Moilanen (year 2020)||Represents doctoral candidates at all departments|
|Professor Tapio Takala||Department of Computer Science|
|Professor Mathias Groth||Department of Applied Physics|
|Professor Paul Lillrank||Department of Industrial Engineering and Management|
|Professor Camilla Hollanti||Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis|
|Professor Matias Palva||Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering|
|Doctoral candidate Chethana Dharmawardane (year 2020)||Represents doctoral candidates at all departments|
Secretary of the Doctoral Programme Committee: Koivunen