Doctoral Programme Committee
Each school will implement their doctoral education in the form of doctoral programmes, which will include all doctoral students of the Aalto University Schools of Technology. The Dean of the School appoints a Head who is in charge of the programme’s function and of the enhancement and coordination of doctoral education together with the Doctoral Programme Committee. The Academic Committee for Science will appoint a Doctoral Programme Committee to support the Head.
According to the regulation 8§, the school has a Doctoral Programme Committee that has, in addition to the Chair, at least four professor members that represent the key research fields and have excelled in the doctoral studies. One of the professor members can be from another school of Aalto University.
The term of office of the Doctoral Programme Committee is three calendar years.
Doctoral Programme Committee 1.1.2017 - 31.12.2019
|Professor Tapio Lokki, Chair||Department of Computer Science|
|Professor N. Asokan||Department of Computer Science|
|Professor Adam Foster||Department of Applied Physics|
|Professor Alexander Engström, Vice Chair||Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis|
|Professor Jukka Tulkki||Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering|
|Professor Riitta Smeds||Department of Industrial Engineering and Management|
|Professor Jan Holmström||Department of Industrial Engineering and Management|
|Professor Mathias Groth||Department of Applied Physics|
The duties of the Doctoral Programme Committee are
- to prepare the selection of the Doctoral Programme applicants for the Dean’s decision;
- to approve the topic and decide on the language of postgraduate theses;
- to confirm the study plans of the Doctoral Programme applicants;
- to appoint the preliminary examiners for doctoral dissertation and decide on the permission to publish of dissertation’s manuscript; to grade dissertation;
- to appoint the examiners for licentiate thesis;
- to grade licentiate thesis; and
- to discuss other matters appointed by the Dean or stated in degree regulations.
The Chair of the Doctoral Programme Committee decides the date of the defence of dissertation and its language and appoints Custos and opponent(s) for the defence of dissertation.