For doctoral candidate:
- When the opponent has been appointed and date of the defence confirmed, the Doctoral Programme will send an official invitation to the opponent. The Doctoral Programme also sends instructions for the opponent regarding the examination of the dissertation.
- The doctoral candidate takes care of sending the final dissertation to the opponent. The Doctoral Programme does not send the dissertation to the opponent!
As a rule, the public defense is held in Otaniemi. If the defense is held at premises of a university in the Helsinki Metropolitan area other than Aalto University, the doctoral candidate is responsible for all the arrangements and costs. The doctoral candidate has to make sure that the defense is public and accessible for the audience (not behind locked doors, sufficient guidance to locate the hall). For justified reasons, the defense can be located also outside the Helsinki Metropolitan area, but then the doctoral candidate is additionally responsible for that there is a video connection to a hall in Otaniemi (e.g. Cotutelle defenses) (DPC 14 November 2017)
- Booking of the lecture hall and other arrangements for the defence including travel and accommodation of the opponent are taken care of by the department (usually by the secretary of the research group but this may vary between departments). The department pays the travel and accommodation of the opponent and a remuneration of 541 euros.
- The department also pays the pre-examiners a remuneration (a´ 541 euro) and a printing compensation of the dissertation (500 euro, only if dissertation is published in Aalto University series). When ordering the printed dissertation, you can order two invoices, of which one is sent directly to the department.
- Coffee after the public defence can be ordered from the restaurant near the lecture hall (Amica or Sodexho).
- Printed dissertation need to be publicly displayed at the latest 10 days prior to public defence. Also the dissertation release need to published at the latest 10 days prior to public defence.
- More information about the public display and distribution of the dissertation may be found here.
- More information about the public defence itself may be found here.
- Dress code for the public defence is described here. If dress code is a tailcoat, department can rent a tailcoat for opponent as well.
- Custos/supervising professor takes care of the hosting of the opponent during his/her visit. It is good to inform the opponent about the schedules well in advance.
- The arrangements for the post-doctoral party (karonkka) is good to start well in advance.