Welcome to the Aalto University School of Science!
If you have any questions related to doctoral studies in the School of Science please contact
Before going through this page, please read the information available for new doctoral candidates here.
The purpose of doctoral studies is for the doctoral candidate to acquire more profound scientific knowledge and skills in scientific research and their practical application than is provided by master’s degree studies. The key element in doctoral studies is to acquire skills needed in research and the application of the research results. The licentiate and the doctoral degrees consist of theoretical studies and research work. The emphasis is on research work.
More information about the structure of doctoral degrees.
Doctoral candidates granted the right to study towards a doctoral degree are required to prepare a personal study plan listing the theoretical courses to be taken and a plan on the implementation of the research. A study plan serves to ensure that the objectives of doctoral education will be reached, and that the studies will progress within the period planned. Doctoral candidates should update the plan regularly and discuss the thesis progress once a year with the supervising professor.
Doctoral Programme Committee
Many of the applications and decisions in doctoral studies need to go through the Doctoral Programme Committee. The Committee has meetings approximately once a month.
Aalto University doctoral student association - Aallonhuiput
Aalto University doctoral student association — Aallonhuiput is a registered association that connects doctoral candidates in Aalto University. The association is run by a yearly elected board. If you are driven and would like to made a different in the doctoral community at Aalto, this is the place to be.
Useful links for new students
- Aalto people (a directory of people working at Aalto)
- Aalto University’s main page for e.g. the latest Aalto-level news and events
- The university is committed to providing accessible studies and services and equal working and study environment for everyone.
- Aalto Space: you can browse and book university seminar rooms, meeting rooms, lecture halls and other study spaces. There is an Android/iPhone app to browse and book learning spaces as well.
- Finnish immigration service
- IT services for students
- Journey planner for using public transportation in the Helsinki Metropolitan area
- Learning Centre at Aalto University where you can access the course books, an extensive selection of e-books and other library services
- Language Centre organises courses on scientific writing and giving presentations, which can be included in the degree.
- Lunch restaurants in Otaniemi (click on the name of the restaurant for an English version of the menu). Check also the services of A Bloc shopping centre.
- Map of Otaniemi Campus and opening hours of buildings
- Unisport (exercise centre, discounted prices for students and staff)