The goals of doctoral studies
The substance of the Doctoral Programme
The education in engineering physics, mathematics, computer science and the research fields of industrial management and engineering is based on firm knowledge of fundamental science and modern technology and economy. The central areas of research at the departments include: atomic scale materials physics, nanophysics and nanomaterials research, optical qualities of material, new energy technologies, biomedical engineering and biological materials, optimization and systems sciences, numerical analysis and mechanics, mathematical analysis, stochastics, discrete mathematics and applications, as well as computational science, complex systems and networks, cognitive neuroscience, digital media in all its diverse forms, machine learning and computational inference, algorithmic data analysis, theoretical computer science, software engineering and business, future internet, the design and operation of modern production systems that deliver combinations of goods, services, and information; strategic management; technology-based entrepreneurship, and leadership in knowledge-intensive organizations.
The extent of doctoral studies
- Bergen Ministerial Meeting: the duration of doctoral studies is 3-4 years.
- Narrowing down a topic for the thesis is the responsibility of the supervising professor and thesis advisor. Doctoral degrees can be completed in four years of full-time study.
- Net time for part-time doctoral studies is four years.
The goals of doctoral studies in the School of Science
- Completing doctoral degrees in four years is the aim at the School of Science.
- The aim of doctoral studies is for the student to acquire skills needed in independent scientific research work.
- Writing the dissertation in a strong research milieu is the most important part of the education.
- The goal is to train scientific experts who are able to serve in demanding academic research and teaching positions and in expert, development and management positions of the information society.
- The research should be persevering and of high-quality and it should have a scientific impact.
- The School of Science is based on persevering basic research that forms a strong basis for teaching and both development and innovation activities.
- The goal of all functions is high international quality.
Ingredients for successful doctoral studies
- Doctoral students must be goal-oriented, committed, persevering and theoretically talented.
- An enthusiastic research group with accomplished leaders is the key for having active guidance with studies and research work.
- Supervising professor and student should discuss thoroughly the student’s chances of completing the doctoral studies.
Joining the research community, internationality and connections to industry and commerce
Doctoral students need guidance in becoming full members of the scientific community
- they should publish, present and defend the results of their research work
- they should meet other members of the scientific community
- they should participate actively in community’s functions
The students should be able to pass information and discuss their research within the international scientific community, and be in genuine research collaboration with their foreign colleagues.
National and international conferences help researchers to become fluent in scientific communication and argumentation. Doctoral students become members of the international scientific community by attending international courses, conferences and by collaborating with foreign researchers.