Checklist for New Doctoral Candidates
- Confirm your study place and enroll for the academic year by following the instructions sent to you with the acceptance letter.
- Reserve enough time for your possible travel arrangements and the necessary formalities (Welcome Guide for International Students at studyguides.aalto.fi)
- Make an appointment with the planning officer of the programme and present your original degree certificate
- Also agree about your personal study and supervision plan with your supervising professor
- Register for the doctoralprogramme mailing list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note that the formalities and e.g. type of residence permit depends on whether you are moving to Finland as a doctoral student or as an employee receiving a salary. It is recommended consult both the pages for international students and for staff, regardless of your status.
- Welcome Guide for International Students at studyguides.aalto.fi (before and after arrival, health insurance, residence permit etc.
- Aalto University Information Package for staff (aalto.fi) (residence permit, cost of living, transportation, banking etc)
- Make your living arrangements in Finland early on. The university has collected information about the housing possibilities on our websites, but finding accomodation is your own responsibility. For more information on student housing, see Aalto’s Housing pages for students (aalto.fi). Also check out Aalto University Housing Services for staff (aalto.fi).
- Handbook for new students at the Department of Design (wiki.aalto.fi) (useful information for all doctoral candidates, especially if you have just moved to Finland)
Students are entitled to use the university premises and equipment for the needs of their education, research, and related artistic pursuits in accordance with the university rules and regulations. The university premises can only be used for activities related to the education provided by the university. Passes and use rights for equipment and materials are granted only for such purposes which clearly belong to the studies accordant with the curriculum or other activities of the university.
During the academic year, the main door of the Arabia campus premises, Hämeentie 135 C, is opened on weekdays at 7:30 a.m. and closed Mon to Thu at 8:00 p.m. and on Fri at 6 p.m. The students with a special permit have an opportunity to work in the university premises outside the actual opening hours. The permits are provided by the departments.
With the permit you can get a magnetic key for the doors and elevators from the office supervisor at the reception in C lobby. The pass is granted for no longer than one academic year at a time.
The key is personal and must not be given to anyone else. The pass can be denied, if the holder of the key lets externals in university premises, or otherwise breaks the instructions given about the use of the premises. If the key is lost, a compensation of EUR 20 is collected. The key must be returned when the studies at the university come to an end.
The equipment in the university premises is marked to prevent theft. In addition, the public areas have recording camera monitoring. Other use of the premises or the furniture or equipment in the premises must always be agreed upon separately with the head of department.
The office supervisor is on duty at the reception in the lobby when the main door is open. At other times, a security guard patrols the building. The telephone number of the reception is +358 (0)9 470 30554 and the mobile number is +358 (0)50 383 5446.
Contact HR staff or study coordinator to find out how to get a key card. Opening hours vary between buildings.
- Aalto account and password
- Please note that your Aalto user account will be valid only after your study right has begun, i.e. at the start of the term
Aalto University encourages doctoral candidates to go abroad for at least six months during their studies. Mobility creates career opportunities for researchers and teachers. It gives the chance to share knowledge, create new ideas, expand international networks and develop your professional skills.
Internationalisation and Studies Abroad (into.aalto.fi)
- syyskuuta 06, 2017