Internationalisation and studies abroad
Aalto University encourages doctoral candidates to go abroad for at least six months during their studies. Mobility creates career opportunities for researchers and teachers. It gives the chance to share knowledge, create new ideas, expand international networks and develop your professional skills.
Different options for internationalisation
Doctoral candidates have the same possibilities to go on a study exchange to our partner universities as our Bachelor and Master’s students.
- Where: Check from MoveOn system which partner universities accept doctoral candidates. Discuss with your supervising professor and/or your advisor about the suitable places for you. Based on these discussion you may also attempt to agree about an exchange to a university that is not our partner (so called freemover)
- When: Application periods are advertised in Into: Applying for the Outgoing Exchange Studies
- How: Support for applying (use of MoveOn, principles related to partner exchanges): email@example.com and support for credit transfer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financing: Aalto ARTS gives scholarships for study exchanges: Scholarships for Exchange Studies. Also check the other financing available for doctoral candidates: Financing your studies
- Upon return: Make sure that all the courses you have taken abroad are transferred to your degree at Aalto University: Credit transfer
Research or teaching visit
- Where: Discuss with your supervising professor and/or your advisor about the suitable places for you.
- How: Each university has its own system for receiving long-term visitors. Check out their websites and be in contact with their international office and the professors in your field. Some universities arrange application periods for visiting researchers or scholars.
- When: Period agreed with your supervising professor. When you go abroad as part of your doctoral education, you need to enroll as an attending student to Aalto University. If you are not completing courses at the foreign institute, there will be no administrative procedures at Aalto University, but please notify the doctoral programme of your visit (email@example.com)
- Financing: Take a look at the different funding agencies, e.g. Academy of Finland, Tekes, Marie Sklodowska Curie, Fulbright Center, Foundations Post Doc pool.
- Taking part in international conferences is also a way of including international elements to your doctoral studies and research.