Graduation in short
- When you have completed all requisite studies for your master’s degree, apply for graduation by submitting the form 110 in eAge: 110 Request for degree certificate.
- You can apply for graduation at the same time as you apply for your master’s thesis approval. See dates and more information on submitting your master’s thesis at https://mycourses.aalto.fi/course/view.php?id=19277.
- All the requisite studies must have been completed and registered in Oodi before submitting a degree certificate request. Exceptions to this are:
- master’s thesis – you can submit your thesis for evaluation at the same time when submitting the request for degree certificate. The date of approval of the thesis will be the deadline for submitting the applications, although the approval of the thesis will not be processed by the Degree Programme Committee until after the deadline for submitting theses and applications.
- press release (maturity essay) and thesis presentation – the last possible date to complete these is the deadline for submitting theses and applications.
- The dean awards degrees approximately once a month.
- The deadline for submitting the degree certificate request is the official date of graduation, which will be printed on the degree certificate (see schedule below).
- Fill out the survey for new graduates in Technology: Survey for New Graduates in Technology 2020
Grouping of courses
Grouping your courses means that your studies are checked and the courses are grouped into major, elective and/or minor studies. The courses are grouped according to your study plan (HOPS-2). When you request graduation by submitting the form 110 in eAge, check the box “I have asked for grouping of courses”. The Student Services will check your studies and contact you by email if needed.
|Deadline for application (form 110)||Awarding of master's degree (graduation date)||Degree certificate ready||Graduation ceremony|
|31.12.2019||31.12.2019 (degree registered 24.1.2020)||10.2.2020||15.4.2020, 4 pm, TUAS Buiding|
|Deadline for application (form 110) and graduation date||Degree registered||Degree certificate ready||Graduation ceremony|
|27.1.2020 (only for those who have already had their master’s thesis approved and registered in Oodi)||17.2.2020||2.3.2020||15.4.2020, 4 pm, TUAS Buiding|
|24.2.2020||23.3.2020||6.4.2020||15.4.2020, 4 pm, TUAS Buiding|
|30.3.2020 (only for those who have already had their master’s thesis approved and registered in Oodi)||20.4.2020||4.5.2020||10.6.2020 , 4 pm, hall A (Otakaari 1)|
|27.4.2020||25.5.2020||8.6.2020||10.6.2020 , 4 pm, hall A (Otakaari 1)|
|25.5.2020||22.6.2020||6.7.2020||22.9.2020, 4 pm, TUAS Building|
|29.6.2020 (only for those who have already had their master’s thesis approved and registered in Oodi)||7.7.2020||17.8.2020||22.9.2020, 4 pm, TUAS Building|
|31.7.2020||24.8.2020||7.9.2020||22.9.2020, 4 pm, TUAS Building|
|31.8.2020 (only for those who have already had their master’s thesis approved and registered in Oodi)||21.9.2020||5.10.2020||3.12.2020, 4 pm, TUAS Building|
|28.9.2020||26.10.2020||9.11.2020||3.12.2020, 4 pm, TUAS Building|
|26.10.2020 (only for those who have already had their master’s thesis approved and registered in Oodi)||16.11.2020||30.11.2020||3.12.2020, 4 pm, TUAS Building|
|23.11.2020||21.12.2020||January 2021||Spring 2021|
|31.12.2020||2021||February 2021||Spring 2021|
Receiving your degree certificate
There are three options for receiving your master’s degree certificate:
- you can receive it in the graduation ceremony you have signed up for
- you can collect it from the Student Services of your master’s programme/major
- it can be mailed to you by registered mail.
You can choose the way of receiving your certificate through a link that will be emailed to you once the dean has awarded the degree. Through the same link you can also sign up for the graduation ceremony.
If you choose to collect your degree certificate from the Student Services of your master’s programme/major, note that it will take some time before your final degree certificate is ready. Please see the table above for the schedule. When collecting your certificate, note that you must prove your identity, so please ensure that you have your ID with you.
You can also authorise another person to collect your degree certificate or allow the Student Services to mail the certificate to someone else. Please use power of attorney for both purposes.
Remember to sign up for the graduation ceremony you wish to attend. Signing up for the ceremony is done through a link that will be emailed to you after the dean has awarded the degrees. Graduates may invite up to three guests to the ceremony. The ceremony lasts for about two hours and contains speeches and music. Refreshments are available afterwards. For more information, please see instructions and information about the ceremony (pdf).
Graduating with honours
Students who, in their master’s degree studies, have shown excellent knowledge of the field as well as exceptional maturity and sense of judgment in their thesis, may have this recognised in their degree certificate with the phrase 'Pass with Honours'. A degree may be awarded with honours if both of the conditions below are fulfilled:
- The weighted average grade of the courses included in the degree (excluding the thesis) is at least 4.0. Courses graded with pass/fail are not considered when the average grade is calculated.
- The grade for the master’s thesis is at least 4.
Feedback from graduates
The survey, conducted by Aalto University School of Science and the Academic Engineers and Architects in Finland (TEK), is an opportunity for new graduates to comment on the aspects of studying and employment. All responses are confidential, and it is not possible to connect any response with an individual respondent. In addition to providing information on the employment and salaries of recent graduates, your feedback is crucial for the survey sponsors in assessing and improving higher education functions. Link to the survey: https://my.surveypal.com/Vastavalmistuneiden_palautekysely_2020_Aalto_SCI_2
Study right at Aalto University, validity of your student card and reimbursement of the AYY membership fee
If you graduate at the start of the semester, you may apply for full reimbursement of your membership fee from the student union (AYY).
If you graduate during the Autumn semester, you may apply for reimbursement for the Spring semester. For more information and detailed instructions, please see https://ayy.fi/en/students/membership-and-fees/payment-instructions/membership-fee-refunds/.
Your study right at Aalto University ends on your graduation date. Because the digital student card Frank App deploys a real-time system in verifying your student status, you cannot continue using the Frank App after you have graduated. If you have a plastic student card, it is valid until the end of your AYY membership period. However, note that if you have a plastic student card and you apply for reimbursement of the membership fee, you must visit the Student Services or the AYY office to record the change and to remove the academic year tag from your student card.
Validity of Aalto email and user account
Your Aalto email and user account are valid for four months after your graduation date. Remember to transfer any important messages from your Aalto email and any important files you may have saved in the Aalto domain.
Joining the Aalto Alumni Circle
After your graduation, you can join the Aalto Alumni Circle. If you have accepted the alumni network membership in WebOodi (WebOodi > User Information > Conditions for giving out Student Information), you will be automatically part of the Alumni Circle, but you need to update your email information and activate your alumni profile at https://alumnicircle.aalto.fi/signup.
You can find more information about the Aalto Alumni Circle at https://www.aalto.fi/for-alumni.