Aims of the Master of Arts (Art and Design) degree
The aim of the degree is to provide students with:
- good theoretical and general knowledge of as well as artistic and practical expertise in their field of study as well as a general knowledge of the field of arts;
- knowledge and skills needed for independent and demanding artistic work and for multidisciplinary collaboration as well as knowledge and skills needed to apply scientific knowledge and scientific methods;
- knowledge and skills to perform, both independently and collaboratively, demanding expert, development and management duties of the field, and to cooperate internationally;
- knowledge and skills needed for education leading to a Doctor of Arts (Art and Design) degree and for lifelong learning;
- good language and communication skills for work in the field of arts and for international operations and cooperation.
The education shall be based on scientific research and artistic activity and professional practices in the field.
Learning Outcomes of the Master's Programme in New Media
The studies of the Media Lab are characterized by collaboration in an experimental and critical environment in which interaction and work in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams occurs on a wide scale between students and staff as well as with students of other faculties and institutions. By nature studies in ’new media’ emphasize emerging fields and practices and related tools and technologies for communication, creative production and distribution. In practice graduates of the Media Lab tend to become employed in ’new’ roles and ’emerging professions’ within the broad gamut of the new media industry, as well as in related research and development activities.
During the studies students are expected to get familiar with a variety of tools, and to understand the fundamental characteristics of digital media as well as the specific of their major subject.
Academic communication and writing are a part of the studies, and more research courses can be chosen if the student is planning to become a researcher. Students and researchers are encouraged to network internationally and have an option to spend a part of their studies abroad through any of our exchange programmes.
The mission of the Media Lab is to explore, discover and comprehend the new digital technology and its impact in society; to find and exploit the possibilities it opens to communication, interaction and expression and to evaluate, understand and deal with the challenges it poses to design and creative production.
MA in New Media is a 120 ECTS programme subject focusing on art and design in different areas of interactive media. The education is project-oriented, combining practice with theory, hands-on with minds-on. The project modules emphasise interdisciplinary and collaborative work, while individual skills are studied in the tools & skills modules, in workshops and through tutored studio work.
The programme is fully taught in English, and students can write their thesis in Finnish, Swedish or English.
The students can also continue their studies to doctoral studies, e.g. by doing (part of) their research in research groups at the Department of Media.