1. Year Aalto University: School of Engineering, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Mika Järvinen
2. Year Chalmers University of Technology: Dept. of Energy and Environment, Carl Linderholm & Tobias Mattisson
Study track focus and goal:
This track meets the challenge set global warming and depletion of fossil fuel resources by providing state-of-the-art education in advanced technologies and systems for efficient, clean and competitive conversion, distribution and use of electricity, heating and cooling.
Training is provided in the use of optimization and modelling tools for design and planning on the technical plant level, including state-of-the-art technologies, at the same time that necessary knowledge on energy systems is given in order to gain perspective.
- Students become skilled in analysis, optimization and design of combined heat and power plants and industrial heat processes, acquiring also state-of-the-art knowledge on technologies for fuel conversion with reduced or zero CO2 emissions (biomass and waste conversion, Carbon Capture and Storage technologies).
- By acquiring complementary knowledge on an energy systems level, students are trained to approach problem-solving in an interdisciplinary way.
- Students are prepared for a professional career within the energy industry and power generation companies.
Chalmers University of Technology
Biofuel & bioenergy, AAE-E3050, 5 ECTS
Combustion Technology, EEN-E2002, 5 ECTS
Heat and Power Systems Engineering, MEN120, 7.5 ECTS
Thesis , 30 ECTS
Energy Markets, EEN-E3006, 5 ECTS
Industrial Energy Systems, KVM013,
Elective courses from list 1
Elective courses from list 2
Elective courses from list 3
= 25 ECTC
= 35 ECTS
= 30 ECTS
= 30 ECTS
Elective course list 1
- AAE-E1000 Introduction to Advanced Energy Solutions (5 ECTS)
- AAE-E3000 Advanced Energy Project (10 ECTS) (I-II)
- PHYS-E6572 Advanced Wind Power Technology (5 ECTS) (alternate years, not lectured autumn 2015)
- PHYS-C6370 Fundamentals of New Energy Sources (5 ECTS)
Elective course list 2
- PHYS-E6570 Solar Energy Engineering (5 ECTS) (alternate years, lectured in spring 2016)
- EEN-E2001 Computational Fluid Dynamics (5 ECTS)
- PHYS-C1380 Multi-disciplinary energy perspectives (5 ECTS)
- CHEM-E5145 Materials for Renewable Energy P (5 ECTS)
Elective course list 3
- Sustainable Electric Power Systems, ENM125, 7.5 ECTS
- Turbomachinery, TME210, 7.5 ECTS
- Sustainable Energy Futures , FFR170, 7.5 ECTS
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD), MTF072, 7.5 ECTS
- Multiphase flow, TME160, 7.5 ECTS
- Gas turbine technology, MTF171, 7.5 ECTS
- Sustainable power production and transportation ENM095, 7.5 ECTS