As indicated by working life surveys, the English courses at Aalto Language Centre emphasise communication and language skills needed for academic and/or working life. Such skills include giving presentations, arguing a position, and writing up reports. Good oral and written skills (defined as a minimum level of CEFR B2) are considered important, particularly in managerial positions and for career development.
Aalto University Degree students in the schools of ARTS, CHEM, ELEC, ENG and SCI must demonstrate both oral (o) and written (w) proficiency in one foreign language; 6 credits total for ARTS and 3 credits total for CHEM, ELEC, ENG and SCI. If you don't know which course you should take as a degree student of CHEM, ELEC, ENG or SCI, the details can be found here.
Note that in selecting students to courses, priority will be given to degree-seeking students who have earned the most credits. If space is available in courses, then exchange students will be admitted.
For general questions and queries about our English courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or anyone of the English teachers.
Courses for 2018-2019
CHEM, ELEC, ENG, SCI, & Architecture (ARTS)
- LC-1114 Communicating Technology (o + w) (3 cr)
- LC-1115 Persuasive Communication (o + w) (3 cr)
- LC-1117 Integrated Oral and Written Skills (o + w) (3 cr)
- LC-1110 Online Writing Skills for Engineers 1 (w) (1 cr)
- LC-1111 Online Writing Skills for Engineers 2 (w) (1 cr)
- LC-1112 Online Presentations Skills for Engineers (o) (2 cr)
- LC-1120 Online Persuasive Presentations (o) (1 cr)
- LC-1113 Autonomous Language Learning Path (o + w) (3 cr)
- LC-1118 Aaltonaut Communication Skills (o, w) (3-6 cr)
- LC-1119 Recognition of prior English learning (AHOT in Finnish, o + w) (3 cr)
Mixed or non-specified
- LCA-1008 Writing in Art, Design & Architecture (w) (3 cr)
- LCA-1009 Talking Art, Design & Architecture (o) (3 cr)
- LCA-1012 Integrated Written Skills (w) (3 cr)
- LCA-1013 Integrated Oral Skills (o) (3 cr)
- LCA-1015 Autonomous Language Learning Path (o + w) (3 cr)
- LCA-1018 Recognition of prior English learning (AHOT in Finnish; o + w) (3 cr)
- LCA-1025 Autonomous Language Learning Path II (o + w) (3 cr)
- LCA-1111 Reading Project for ARTS (Online) (w + o) (3 cr)
- LCA-1112 Online Presentation Skills for ARTS (o) (3 cr)
- LC-1118 Aaltonaut Communication Skills (o,w) (3-6 cr)