Finland has a health care system meant for degree students provided by the Finnish Student Health Services. Students can also turn to municipal or private health care. The right to use different health services depends on the student’s status (degree student or exchange/ free mover/guest student), country of origin (EU/EEA citizen or non-EU/EEA citizen) and the membership of the student union. Read carefully the guidelines below.

 Finnish Student Health Services

The Finnish Student Health Services (FSHS, or YTHS in Finnish) provides basic health care services for university students. The services offered by the FSHS include general health care, medical care and mental health care as well as dental and oral health care. The FSHS does not provide hospital care, maternity care, child or family care, or night and weekend duty services.

Bachelor’s and Master’s level degree-seeking students have a compulsory membership in the student union. They are entitled to all FSHS services after paying the student union membership fee.

The same applies to exchange, free mover and guest students: if they join the student union and pay the membership fee, they are entitled to all FSHS services. However, from beginning of 2021 onwards, exchange students do not have access to Finnish Student Health Services.

Postgraduate (doctoral level) students are not entitled to FSHS services, even if they are members of the student union.

To get an appointment, you should call the closest FSHS office to you. Otaniemi campus has its own FSHS health centre (street address Otakaari 12, Espoo).

For more information (services, fees etc.), please see the FSHS website.

If the FSHS health centre is closed, in case of sudden illness requiring urgent treatment, please contact the health centre of your municipality of residence or call the medical helpline 116 117.

 Municipal health care

The degree students who have registered at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (Former Maistraatti) and have a municipality of residence are entitled to use the services of municipal health centres the same way as the local residents.

Exchange students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland also have the right to use the municipal health care (but not exchange students from non-EU/EEA countries).

Please notice that if you are a student from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you should obtain a European Health Insurance Card from your home country. With the card you are able to prove that you are entitled to municipal health care services while staying in Finland. It will save you time, hassle and money if you fall ill or suffer an injury while abroad.

If you need to use the services of a municipal health center, you should go to your local health centre. All residents in any municipality or city belong to one of the service areas on the basis of their home address. See the webpage of the city of Helsinki or Espoo to find out your nearest health care centre and hospital. In case of sudden illness requiring urgent treatment, you can call the medical helpline 116 117.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

Exchange/free mover/guest students from non-EU/EEA countries can turn to private health services, such as Mehiläinen or Terveystalo.

Private physicians charge approximately €100 per visit. In addition, you need to pay a fee for all examinations, such as laboratory tests or x-rays and administrative fees. Your compulsory health insurance may cover some of the expenses.

 Where to go if FSHS and municipal health care centres are closed (e.g. in case of emergency)?

To find out your nearest health care center or hospital, call 116 117 or see the webpage of the city of Helsinki or Espoo.

Note that you should mainly seek treatment from the emergency hospital in your home town, but all residents from Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa/Kauniainen with acute need for medical attention can also seek emergency care from any emergency hospital in the area.

Please note that you need to have the European Health Insurance Card (EU/EEA citizens) or private health insurance to cover the expenses!

General emergency number: 112

 Residence-based social security

The social security benefits in Finland are provided by the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela). Please note that students are usually considered being in Finland only temporarily and, generally, are thus not covered by the Finnish social security system. Even if you have a permanent home municipality in Finland, this does not mean that you are entitled to all residence-based social security benefits if your residence permit is only temporary and you have come to Finland to study. Usually in this kind of situation, a student is entitled to the services offered by municipal health centres but not to other social security benefits.

 University Psychology Services

The Psychology Service at Aalto University offers counselling and support for learning, motivation, self-regulation, study skills and coping with stress and career choice. The service is also available in English. Meetings with a registered psychologist are available free of charge for Bachelor’s and Master’s degree students of the university. Doctoral students should primarily contact their occupational healthcare service, when available. You can reach the psychologists at

 Starting Point of Wellbeing

Starting Point of Wellbeing at Aalto University offers students advice and guidance on services related to wellbeing.