The Starting Point of Wellbeing offers students advice and guidance on services related to wellbeing. We collect information on remotely organized support and guidance on this page. We update the page and post links, tips and contact information here. Updated 7.5.2021 8:00.
Starting Point of Wellbeing goes Co-Studying, Wednesday-afternoons and Thursday-mornings via Zoom
SPW offers on Thursday mornings the opportunity to get-together remotely to do independent studying, utilizing Pomodoro-technic. Read more:
SPW offers the opportunity to get-together remotely to do independent studying, utilizing Pomodoro-technic. We’ll start with a short intro and tips from the study psychologist to set goals and you can decide on your own goals for that morning. After that, all participants have 2 x 40 minutes available for independent study (Zoom connection open, but the camera does not have to be kept on). There is a break between these 40 minute “pomodoros”, during which you can also ask questions from study psychologist or chat with others.
The language is English, but you can also participate in Finnish. Participating in the discussion is always voluntary, so you are very welcome join us, also, even if you do not want to share your own goal with others.
When: Every Wednesday from 13.00 to 15:00 and Thursday from 9:00 to 11:00 (NOT THU 13.5) until Midsummer.
Where: In the zoom https://aalto.zoom.us/j/64681021140
In what situations could SPW going Co-Studying be the right place? If any of these apply to you, don’t hesitate to join us!
- You should work independently on a thesis or a larger project (eg write, review sources, etc.)
- You should do course assignments independently (eg essay, exercises, part of group work, etc.)
- You have study-tasks that you constantly postpone because there is no “compulsion” to start right now
- You need a little peer pressure to get started and you feel that there have been too few opportunities to study together with others these days
- It is difficult for you to decide where to start and what would be a suitably sized piece of study for certain amount of time
- You have a hard time getting your studies started in the morning
- You are curious to know what kind of tips and thoughts you could get out from this that might benefit your own studying
9.00 (Thursday) // 13.00 (Wednesday) Welcome - study psychologist's instructions to Pomodoro and goal setting; the opportunity to share your own study goal with others
9.15-9.55 // 13.15-13.55 First Pomodoro 40 min, independent study
9.55-10.05 // 13.55-14.05 Break, opportunity to share thoughts and ask for tips
10.05-10.45 // 14.05-14.45 Another Pomodoro 40 min, independent study
10.45-11.00 // 14.45-15.00 Summary: opportunity to share if your own goal was successful, and ask for tips from a study psychologist.
Study and career counselling psychologists' Zoom-service
Aalto study and career counselling psychologists' are available for short discussions (e.g. if you are not sure where to ask advice and help in your situation) at Starting Point of Wellbeing via Zoom.
Expanded opening hours for April and May are: Mondays: 10.00-15.00, Tuesdays: 15.00-17.00, Wednesdays: 10.00-12.00, Thursdays: 12.00-13.00 (NOT THU 13.5) and Fridays: 9.00-11.00 (NOT FRI 14.5). Times for June will be updated here soon.
This is how you can meet with Aalto psychologist:
- Notice that room is available only on specific times. Log in to Aalto Zoom: https://aalto.zoom.us/join and write following number-series as ”Meeting ID": 659 0358 6059, then click ”Join”. The other option is to use this link: https://aalto.zoom.us/j/65903586059.
- You will be directed to Waiting room, and when the psychologist is available, she/he will let you in. Notice that there might me other student's before you in the waiting line, so you might have to wait until the psychologist is available. Notice that if you close your Zoom while in waiting room and then try come back later, you will end up at the end of the waiting line.
- When psychologist let's you in, open your microphone and camera and check that your name is visible at Zoom. It's not possible to meet the psychologist without telling your name. The conversation is confidential and it will never be recorded. Meeting will take about 15 minutes.
If there are technical problems and your Zoom closes, try to get back soon as you can. If you can't arrive back in the waiting room immediately, psychologist will, of course, wait couple of minutes, so don't worry! However, after waiting a bit, then she/he will take the next student in. In case of questions, you can send Aalto psychologist an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aalto study and career counselling services
Individual appointment and other Aalto psychologist services: Study and career guidance psychologists help and support in all challenges related to studying and career planning, and also provide support for distance learning and the feelings that the current global pandemic may evoke. Appointment has to be booked in advance.
The study and career counselling psychology service is available to all Aalto University undergraduate and postgraduate degree students.
Aalto chaplain contact information
Aalto chaplains are available via email and phone. Starting from April 8th, there will also be a weekly Zoom-time (Thursdays 11.00-13.00) when you can have confidential talk without making an appoinment in advance.
- Notice that room is available only on specific times. Log in to Aalto Zoom: https://aalto.zoom.us/join and write following number-series as ”Meeting ID": 617 9337 0694, then click ”Join”. The other option is to use this link: https://aalto.zoom.us/j/61793370694.
- You will be automatically directed to Waiting room, and when the Aalto chaplain is available, she/he will let you in. Notice that there might me other student's before you in the waiting line, but you cannot see them (and they cannot see you); so you might have to wait a bit. Futhermore, notice that if you close your Zoom (or if your Zoom stops working for some reason) and then try to come back later, you will end up at the end of the waiting line.
- When Aalto chaplain let's you in, open your microphone and camera. The conversation is confidential and it will never be recorded.
- Meeting will take about 15 minutes. If there are technical problems and your Zoom closes, try to get back soon as you can. If you can't arrive back in the waiting room immediately, Aalto chaplain will, of course, wait couple of minutes, so don't worry! However, after waiting a bit, then she/he will take the next student in if you haven't returned.
- In case of questions or technical problems, you can send an e-mail.
email@example.com, 050 4644375
firstname.lastname@example.org, 050 365 2256
Social work done by the church in case of financial difficulties: Please contact Espoo lutheran church Tapiola. Mon-Thu 9-15. Phone: +358 9 8050 4400.
Pia Rydestedt, 050-560 8378 / email email@example.com / WhatsApp / TG @piarydestedt
Virpi Riissanen, 050 5645 495/ email: firstname.lastname@example.org /WhatsApp/Telegram
FSHS contact information
Nyyti ry Chat
Where to find help?
Starting Point of Wellbeing, Otakaari 1 (currently no appointments on campus due to Covid-19)
Studying is a lot to handle and of course there is more to life than just studying. If you need someone to talk to, you can turn to the Aalto chaplains. The cornerstones of our work are being present, listening and keeping all student discussions strictly confidential. We want to promote our students’ holistic wellbeing. Why not come meet us and hear more about booking a counselling appointment as well as the online chat service, discussion groups, brunches and other activities we have to offer.
The Aalto University Student Union AYY: You can talk to the AYY harassment contact person if you have experienced harassment or misconduct. The appointments are confidential and no measures will be taken without your consent, but if you wish, the harassment contact persons can help you sort out the situation. In addition to individual students, the harassment contact persons provide guidance to student organisations.
FSHS (Finnish student health service)
Are you worried about a health-related issue? Contact FSHS.
Study and career counselling psychologists
If your studies have stalled or you are worried about your studies or future employment, come meet the Aalto psychologists to discuss how our services could be helpful to you. You will get information on our courses, groups and online services as well as advice on booking a personal counselling appointment.
A study counsellor helps in things related to study planning and work life orientation. With a study counsellor, you may discuss for instance different types of admission and selection related issues.
Welcome to UniSport! Sports bring joy and energy to your daily life. Are you looking for ways to add more sports to your student life? Or how to ensure that you recover sufficiently after exercising? How is your mobility at the moment?
The Starting Point of Wellbeing offers students also information about the mental wellbeing services provided by Nyyti ry.