Extent: 24 credits
Teacher in charge: Kirsi Eräranta
Target group: Master students
Application process: The general application procedure for minors at Aalto University, see application periods and instructions Instructions for applying 2017-18
Degree students at Aalto School of Business do not need to separately apply for a study right for the minor.
Quotas and restrictions: During the academic year 2017-18, maximum of 5 students from other Aalto schools can be granted a study right for the minor. Of this quota, 4 places remain open for applications in the September 2017 application period.
Content and structure of the minor
Corporate Communication minor is designed to give students a trans-disciplinary understanding of the fields of corporate communication and media management. In CC studies, corporate communication is viewed both as a business function and, at the same time, as social interaction. Throughout the courses, we highlight the impact of the globalized environment on communication practice, management and leadership.
CC Minor provides students with knowledge of the strategic role of communication in contemporary organizations. The CC courses offer professional and academic competences needed in managing international corporate communications, engaging in corporate strategy work, and managing internal and external stakeholder relations. In particular, the CC Minor develops competences within such specific areas as organizational communication, investor relations, media rhetoric and crisis communication. Throughout all course work and problem-based learning activities we practise the skills needed for a variety of multicultural and multilingual encounters.
A student completing the Corporate Communication Minor will have a thorough understanding of
- the strategic role of corporate communication for business operations;
- the specialist areas of corporate communication, e.g. organizational communication and leadership, investor relations, issues management, change and crisis communication; and
- communication as social interaction.
In addition, s/he will be able to
- manage the stakeholder relations involved in the various specialist areas of corporate communication;
- analyse, plan and conduct corporate strategy work from the perspective of communication; and
- argue convincingly and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
Structure of Studies
Choose three courses of the following:
*) Not lectured 2017-18.
One course of the electives can be a C-level course: