Extent: 20-25 cr
Teacher in charge: Matti Vartiainen
Target group: All students with sufficient prerequisite knowledge
Application procedure: Open for all students of Aalto University
Quotas and restrictions: No quotas.
Prerequisites: TU-C1010 Ihminen ryhmässä (5 op)
Content and structure of the minor
The minor in Entrepreneurial Leadership aims at developing a student’s capabilities in organizing successful teams able to explore and exploit new venture opportunities, in enabling effective collaboration among team members under conditions of uncertainty and time pressure, and in developing leadership skills in driving and transforming technology-based organizations.
The minor places emphasis on the role of people in the success of new and existing companies, as well as on public organizations and society at large. The minor introduces students to knowledge, frameworks and practices, which could resolve crucial challenges encountered at the nexus of engineering and innovation. The primary interests of the minor are leadership and self-leadership, interaction, knowledge sharing, learning, collaboration, wellbeing and the attitudes of people in the context of work.
The students doing a minor in Entrepreneurial Leadership will learn to lead and inspire people in technology-intensive environments. They will learn skills and knowledge required to
- organize groups of people to achieve common goals by using proactive behavior
- lead and manage change within a dynamic and uncertain environment for the benefit of new and existing organizations
- enhance teamwork and collaboration among members of entrepreneurial teams in the context of start-ups and of established organizations
- create and utilize knowledge in emerging forms of organizations.
Students pursuing this minor will learn to understand human behavior and gain skills and knowledge required to
- analyze and utilize individual and organizational knowledge,
- evaluate and develop teams, organizations, and work practices,
- explore human potential and growth and create better collaboration in teams and in organizations.
They will learn to envision a better future and understand
- how future organizations evolve,
- how an ethically better future for businesses and society can be built,
- why self-leadership is essential for building better life.
The minor will bring added value to the student's careers, helping students to integrate people-related knowledge to their special technical and engineering skills. Therefore, the competences and capabilities learnt in this minor create opportunities for proceeding to a number of areas of expertise and management.
choose 10-15 credits out of the following:
Leading as Practice
Select as many courses as needed to fulfill the extent of the minor (20-25 cr):
Collaboration in Teams and Networks
|TU-E1021||Strategies for Growth and Renewal||5||III-IV|
|TU-E3121||People in Service Operations||5||I-II|
|TU-E3160||Leadership and Knowlegde Management, Special Topics||1-10||varies, check course website|
|Project course in leadership (e.g.varying content courses)*||1-10|
|TU-E3020||Knowledge Management in Practice||5||I-II|
|TU-C3021||Managing Knowledge and Knowledge-intensive Organizations||5||IV-V|
|TU-E3130||Luovan ongelmanratkaisun seminaari V||5-8||II|
|TU-A1150||Filosofia ja systeemiajattelu( if this course has been completed for Bachelor's degree, it cannot be included in minor studies)||3||III-IV|
|TU-E3090||Research Assignment in Leadership and Knowledge Management||5||I-II, III-V|
*) to be agreed with professor in charge of the minor.
Note: TU-E3090 is recommend for students planning to do their Master's thesis in the minor. Please contact the responsible professor prior to selecting the course to discuss about the thesis. Possibility to do thesis is subject to permissions from student’s degree program and the minor.
Courses which fulfil the requirements of Entrepreneurial Leadership minor are offered also by Aalto University Open University:
- TU-E3020 Knowledge Management in Practice may be substituted with Ako-E3020 Knowledge Management in Practice (5 cr)
- TU-E3010 Leading as Practice (5 cr) may be substituted with Ako-E3010 Johtaminen ja johtajuus (5 op)
- The elective courses of the minor may include Ako-E3410 Organisaatioteoria (5 op), Ako-E3420 Organisaation kehittäminen (5 op) and Ako-E3140 Suorituksen ja palkitsemisen johtaminen (5 op).
Open University studies are subject to a fee, and the number of participants on the courses are limited. Further information is available on the Open University website.