Extent: 24 credits
Teacher in charge: Kirsi Eräranta
Target group: Master students
Application process: The general application procedure for minors at Aalto University, see application periods and instructions
Degree students at Aalto School of Business do not need to separately apply for a study right for the minor.
Quotas and restrictions: Quotas and restrictions / Kiintiöt ja rajoitukset / Kvoter och begränsningar: Degree students at Aalto School of Business do not need to separately apply for a study right for the minor. During the academic year 2019-2020, maximum of 5 students from other Aalto schools can be granted a study right for the minor. / Kauppakorkeakoulun tutkinto-opiskelijoiden ei tarvitse erikseen hakea opinto-oikeutta sivuaineeseen. Lukuvuonna 2019-2020, maksimissaan 5 opiskelijaa muista Aallon kouluista voidaan valita suorittamaan sivuainetta.
Content and structure of the minor
Corporate Communication minor is designed to give students a trans-disciplinary understanding of the fields of corporate communication and media management. In CC studies, corporate communication is viewed both as a business function and, at the same time, as social interaction. Throughout the courses, we highlight the impact of the globalized environment on communication practice, management and leadership.
CC Minor provides students with knowledge of the strategic role of communication in contemporary organizations. The CC courses offer professional and academic competences needed in managing international corporate communications, engaging in corporate strategy work, and managing internal and external stakeholder relations. In particular, the CC Minor develops competences within such specific areas as organizational communication, investor relations, media rhetoric and crisis communication. Throughout all course work and problem-based learning activities we practise the skills needed for a variety of multicultural and multilingual encounters.
A student completing the Corporate Communication Minor will have a thorough understanding of
- the strategic role of corporate communication for business operations;
- the specialist areas of corporate communication, e.g. organizational communication and leadership, investor relations, issues management, change and crisis communication; and
- communication as social interaction.
In addition, s/he will be able to
- manage the stakeholder relations involved in the various specialist areas of corporate communication;
- analyse, plan and conduct corporate strategy work from the perspective of communication; and
- argue convincingly and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
Structure of Studies
|77E2700||Change Management and Communication 1)||6 cr||II|
1) The course on Managing Corporate Communication (75E00100) is not available anymore. Instead students take the course on Change Management and Communication (77E27000).
Elective courses 18 cr
Choose three courses of the following:
|77E28000||Corporate Responsibility Communication||6 cr||III|
|77E00200||Strategy Communication 2)||6 cr||II|
|77E21000||Intercultural Communication 3)||6 cr||IV|
|77E18000||Organizational Communication 5)||6 cr||I|
|77E24000||Business Presentations||3 cr||III; IV|
|77E25000||Business Negotiations||3 cr||IV; V|
2) Communication in Strategy Work is not available anymore; the replacing course is Strategy Communication (77E00200)
3) Corporate Communication in Global Contexts is not available anymore; the replacing course is Intercultural Communication (77E21000).
4) Available only in academic year 2018-19
5) Not available anymore; the replacing course is course Organizational Communication (77E18000)
*) The course is not available anymore.
One course of the electives can be a C-level course: