Online course for doctoral candidates at Aalto University including two compulsory workshops. Lecturer is Dr. Henriikka Mustajoki.
Same course will be held in spring 2020 during 6.3.-6.4.2020, including two compulsory workshops on 11.3.2020 at 12-16 and 25.3.2020 at 12-16.
Doctoral studies, recommended for first or second year of study. The course is 2 ECTS and comprises 54 hours of study.
Online course: 1.11.- 2.12.2019
- Thursday 7.11.2019 at 8-12
- Wednesday 20.11.2019 at 12-16
Both workshops are held in lecture room U8, Otakaari 1, Otaniemi.
Deadlines for the assesments:
- Assessment 1 – Mon 11.11.2019 - Ethical issues and challenges in my own research
- Assessment 2 – Mon 18.11.2019 - Peer Review
- Assessment 3 – Tue 19.11.– 2.12.2019 - Discussion board on ethical issues
- Assessment 4 – Mon 2.12.2019 - Reflection and solutions to ethical issues
- Assessment 5 – Mon 2.12.2019 – Deadline for online quizzes
Please note: attendance at workshops is compulsory
Open for doctoral candidates in all schools at Aalto University. You need to be enrolled as an attending doctoral student in order to enrol to the course. Your enrolment will be checked in your school and confirmation will be sent to you on 25 October 2019.
At the completion of this course a doctoral candidate is able to:
- recognise and analyse key research ethical questions
- formulate ethical research plans and responses to ethical challenges by applying key ethical theories and approaches
- recognise and understand key ethical principles guiding research and how they apply to research work
- understand the Finnish Responsible Conduct of Research guidelines, processes for dealing with research misconduct, and processes for applying research license or ethical review
- identify rights and responsibilities as a researcher
- understand how ethical decisions and choices influence society and research community
Mode of study
- The course will be taught online in Moodle. You will receive the enrolment key form the course coordinator after your enrolment to the course has been confirmed.
- All course correspondence will be sent to your Aalto email, so please check your email at the start of the course for more details on assessment tasks and course content.
- The course language is English. However, on the Moodle site materials are available also in Finnish and most assessment tasks can be completed either in English or in Finnish.
- Most of the course is self-directed and allows for great flexibility with when and where it is done. However, assessments have strict deadlines.
The course completion requires:
- active engagement with the course material,
- completing compulsory assessment tasks detailed above
The course evaluation is based on adequately achieving learning outcomes as evidenced in the assessment tasks.
Dr. Henriikka Mustajoki is the course coordinator. You can contact Henriikka on at.
Katri Seitsonen, katri.seitsonen at aalto.fi