Page History

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Before arrival


- preparing departure

titleApply for Visa or Residence Permit

Citizens of EU, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and San Marino need


an official identity card or passport (passport


All other foreigners coming from outside EU/EEA countries (European Economic Area) need a valid passport.


strongly recommended) to enter Finland.

Non-EU/EEA citizens must have a valid passport and will need to check at a local Finnish embassy or consulate whether


a visa or a residence permit for Finland is required.


The residence permits in Finland are issued by the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri). We recommend you to start the application process as soon as possible. You should reserve at least two months, preferably more for the application process. Note, that you cannot arrive in Finland without the residence permit card in hand.


EU/EEA citizens

titleRegistration of residence
EU-citizens and citizens of Liechtenstein and Switzerland do not need a residence permit but upon arrival in Finland you must register your right to reside in Finland if your stay lasts for longer than three months. This registration of residence is done at the Finnish Immigration Service (MIGRI) service point in Helsinki. However, citizens of Nordic countries are registered at Maistraatti (local register office) if they stay in Finland longer than 6 months. See more information in the chapter After arrival, Registering the residence.

NON EU/EEA-citizens

If the studies last for less than three months, only a visa is needed. The visa is granted for a maximum of three months and cannot be extended in Finland. The visa has to be applied for before departure to Finland in the country where you permanently reside. Finland has an agreement abolishing this requirement with about 80 countries. Please check at your local Finnish consulate/embassy whether your country is among them.
titleResidence permit

Citizens coming from a country outside the EU/EEA and who intend to stay in Finland for longer than three months have to obtain a residence permit through the Finnish embassy or consulate in their home country BEFORE arrival in Finland. Finnish Immigration Service - MIGRI - will provide application forms and further information on application process. An application is done via e-service of MIGRI. E-service is called

You can also follow the process electronically. However, remember that a personal visit to the Finnish Embassy is also required for identification and fingerprinting. Your application will not be processed before you’ve visited a Finnish embassy.

All Finnish embassies and consulates are listed at If there is no Finnish embassy or consulate  in your country, contact a Finnish mission in another country to confirm your visit.

Detailed instructions for residence permit application are available at MIGRI and websites However, some  main guidelines are presented below:

Fixed-term permit
Permit for studies is temporary by its nature. Residence permit is usually granted for one academic year (or one semester if exchange studies last only for one semester) at the time. If your studies last longer, a new residence permit is required for each year. Please see more information at the chapter: After arrival, Extension of the residence permit.
Income requirement
In order to get the residence permit for Finland you must have a secured livelihood. You are required to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover all your expenses and living costs in Finland. You will need to have at least € 560 euros a month / € 6,720 available for one year of residence to support yourself. You must have the necessary funds in your own bank account. If you have been awarded a scholarship (by a government, an association or an educational institution) for the purpose of your studies please attach a scholarship decision. Still, you are required to demonstrate that you have altogether 560 euros/month for your living costs. Note! Likewise, if you are liable to pay tuition fee you must be able to demostrate that you have sufficient funds to pay for a fee or the proof of the paid fee. For more information, read MIGRI's instructions on how to proof the means of support and funds for tuition fee / scholarship!
Health Insurance
In order to get the residence permit for Finland you must have a valid health insurance. Obtaining the health insurance is obligatory. Without the valid insurance residence permit cannot be granted. Your health insurance must fulfill certain requirements, depending on the length of your studies in Finland. Please read more in the chapter: Arrival and settling in

The university does not provide any health insurance for foreign students. You can find an insurance policy that fits Finland’s requirements by checking e.g. SIP Marsh (  

Note! MIGRI processes all residence permit applications based on studying as urgent. If your application is approved, you will get a biometric residence permit card. The card will be delivered to the Finnish embassy. It’s not possible to expedite the delivery of the card or collect the card from Finland. You must wait for the residence permit card before arrival in Finland.

Note! When applying for your first residence permit, you can also ask to be registered in the Finnish Population Information System. This way you can receive a Finnish personal ID-code at the same time as you are issued with the permit, id-code makes your life in Finland easier.

Note! If you stay in Finland on permanent basis (over 1 year) you need to ask for home municipality registered for you after arrival in Finland. This requires a personal visit at Maistraatti office. Please read more information from this chapter: After arrival: Maistraatti.
  • legal residence or if not applicable, in another country to prove your identity and give fingerprints. As some Finnish missions are very busy during the high season of applications, it is important that you book an appointment to a Finnish mission as early as possible. The processing time of the permit application is counted from the visit to a Finnish mission and not from the date of submission of the application. Due to the coronavirus outbreak, the processing of residence permit applications in the Finnish missions has been suspended as of 19 March 2020 until further notice. However, you can still submit your application via the Finnish Immigration Service’s online service to start the process. More information on the effect of the coronavirus on the customers of Migri is available here.

  • A common reason for delays in the residence permit application process is insufficient health insurance cover (more information below). Please read carefully the insurance instructions by Migri.

  • A common reason for rejecting a residence permit application is the lack of funding. Please read carefully the instructions by Migri regarding the proof of funds.

  • Migri processes all student applications as urgent and the university cannot influence on the application process.

  • Also note that from the date of award, the delivery of the residence permit card takes approximately two weeks.

When you are granted a residence permit, your personal information will automatically be recorded in the Finnish Population Information System. You will be issued a Finnish personal identity code. If you cannot be registered in the Population Information System when you are issued with your residence permit (due to some local residence permit process, this is the case at least for citizens of India and Pakistan) you need to apply for the registration at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency after you have arrived in Finland (see "apply for a municiplaity of residence below")

titleGet a health insurance

University does not provide health insurance for foreign students. As FSHS (Finnish Student Health Services) only provides basic health care services (and does not perform medical operations or have emergency services) please make sure that you have a valid health insurance. The costs of treatment at a hospital may rise to several hundreds or even thousands of euros if you need hospital care or laboratory tests. The university is not responsible for any payments or arrangements.

Options for insurance coverage

You can search for options e.g. from Migri's website. If considering other options, remember to make sure that the insurance fulfills the necessary requirements.

Students from non- EU/EEA countries

Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries are required to have valid health insurance already at the time when applying for the residence permit for Finland. This is a compulsory requirement for obtaining residence permit for studies lasting more than three months. The same requirement applies for both degree-seeking and exchange/free-mover students. Students from Quebec, Canada are exempted from the health insurance requirement.

Health insurance must fulfill certain requirements, depending on the length of your studies in Finland.

  • If your studies take at least two years (four semesters or more), your insurance must cover pharmaceutical expenses up to EUR 40 000.
  • If your studies take less than two years (less than four semesters), your insurance must cover medical expenses up to EUR 120 000.
  • You must have insurance for your entire stay in Finland. Your insurance must be valid at the time of your arrival in Finland. Take out a one-year insurance policy if you intend to study in Finland for one year or longer. Be sure to renew your insurance prior to expiry.

Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland

Citizens of EU/EEA-countries are entitled to medical care while staying temporarily in another EU/EEA-country. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) serves as a proof of the entitlement. By presenting the card you can use the services of the municipal health care centres, and in case of emergency, you are entitled to the same benefits with the same costs as local residents. You should make sure you have the EHIC card with you when arriving in Finland.

It is strongly recommended to have also a private insurance as an additional security. Please note that the individual systems of the EU countries and practices surrounding the use of the EHIC card may vary.

titleApply for accommodation

Degree students and international joint master's students: see information about accommodation under housing.

Exchange students: see information about accommocation and housing for exchange students.

titleCompile needed documents

EU-citizens: European Health Insurance Card, letter of acceptance from Aalto, proof of financial means to support your studies (for example Certificate of your Erasmus grant), few passport-sized photographs, prescriptions if you are on medication and some euros (cash).

Non-EU Citizens: Proof of health insurance, letter of acceptance from Aalto, proof of financial means to support your studies, few passport-sized photographs, prescriptions if you are on medication and some euros (cash).

titlePlan your budget/one-off expenses to consider
  • Travelling with a taxi from the airport may cost up to 60 euros (please check the exact fare from the driver before the trip).
  • Staying in a hotel even for a few days may cost you a month’s rent as the capital region is often very busy in the autumn and most places are fully booked.
  • Depending on your housing arrangements you may need to spend money on furniture, transport, bedding, cutlery and so on, so please ensure you check from your housing provider beforehand what is included and budget realistically for the missing things.

  • Please check the Financial Matters page for estimates of how to plan your budget.

Before arrival - ready to take-off

titlePlan your first day (in Finland)
  • Please ensure you have a place to stay before arriving in Finland, as the university does not have any emergency housing or guest rooms or 24-hour reception. Hotels are expensive and may be fully booked at the time, and finding a more permanent place to stay may take a while.
  • Find out how, where and when to get the keys to your accommodation and who to contact, as most housing offices close early (around 4.00pm on weekdays) and are unlikely to be open at weekends.
  • Please check the details of your housing carefully before arrival, as student housing may not have furniture, electricity, bedding or cutlery when you arrive, and it may take a while to get these things arranged (and this may also affect your budget).
  • Each school has its own student tutor or tutors, who help out the new students in practical matters related to arrival and student life. Tutors familiarize new students with studies and welcome them into the academic community at Aalto. Student associations and student guilds will be introduced also.

After arrival

titleContinue from the airport

From the airport to the Helsinki city centre

Helsinki-Vantaa Airport is located in Vantaa. It is easy and safe to use trains, buses or taxi to arrive from the airport to Helsinki city centre.

Offices of main student housing providers:

  • HOAS’ main office is located in the centre of Helsinki (street address Pohjoinen Rautatienkatu 29), a walking distance from the central railway station and Kamppi metro station and main bus terminal
  • AYY main office (including housing office) is located at the campus in Otaniemi, Espoo (street address: Otakaari 11)

From Helsinki city centre to Aalto University

The campus is located in Otaniemi, Espoo. You can take the metro from the Central Railway Station or from Kamppi metro station to the campus. You can board a metro towards Tapiola or Matinkylä, they both stop at Aalto University. Get off at the Aalto University station. Please use Helsinki Region Transport (HSL) journey planner to check the connections, timetables and tickets.

Tickets can be purchased from ticket vending machines at the Central Railway Station and Kamppi metro station. Mobile tickets are also available.

Note! When traveling on the metro, you must have the ticket before you enter the metro platform area after having passed the Travel Card readers. For example, if you use a mobile ticket, make sure you have received the ticket before entering the platform area.

How to travel in the Helsinki region

The public transportation system in the Helsinki region is reliable and efficient. For almost any part of the region there is a public transport connection either by bus, local train, tram or metro or by a combination of these.

In order to find the correct route in Helsinki region, please use Helsinki Region Transport (HSL) journey planner. Please type your from and to addresses as well as the time of departure or arrival into the journey planner and the service will search the best connections for your journey.

For single tickets you can upload an app, use ticket machines or sales point (see HSL website). Student discount for public transportation can be activated later (see below).

titleArrive on campus - who to contact and where to go
  • Your school-specific orientation materials guide you when to arrive at the campus, where to go and what time.
  • Download Aalto Space -campus app to navigate on campus.
  • If upon arrival you are not sure where to go, you can start by visiting the Starting Point or a student service desk to find out where to go on the campus (please check the opening times before your visit).
  • If you have not enrolled yet, visit offices in the following order: AYY office for student union fee, student service desk for enrolment and IT services office for activation of the Aalto user account.

Settling in

titleRegister your right of residence, EU/EEA-citizens

EU/EEA citizens

You don't need a residence permit but upon arrival in Finland, must apply for registration of EU citizen’s right of residence if your stay lasts for longer than three months. The application for the registration must be submitted within three months of the day of the arrival.

Application can be submitted online, but the registration process requires a personal visit at the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) service point. It is advisable to book an appointment for registration in good time beforehand (already in the summer), as waiting times can be long and in September there may not be time slots available any more.

When your right of residence is registered, your personal information will be recorded in the Finnish Population Information System and you will receive a Finnish personal identity code.

Citizens of the Nordic countries

You don't need a residence permit but upon arrival in Finland, must register in the Finnish Population Information system at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency of your place of residence. Please note that you must personally visit the agency office. In connection with the registration, you will receive a Finnish personal identity code.

non-EU/EEA citizens

You are not required a registration of residence (registration has been done as a part of the student residence permit process).

titleApply for a municipality of residence, all nationalities

If you are staying in Finland for more than a year (regardless of your nationality), you are required to register at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV, former Maistraatti) in the municipality you live in and register your permament municipality of residence in Finland. For the DVV registration you will need a permanent address in Finland. Having the municipality of residence registered enables you eg. the right for full student discount in public transportation (HSL) and municipal health care services

Once you have your address in Finland, fill in the application form in advance and visit the DVV office of your municipality (eg. Espoo or Helsinki) upon your arrival. Instructions and the application form are available here

If you have not received your Finnish personal ID-code when applying for a residence permit or when registering as EU citizen in Finland, you will be registered in the Finnish Population Information System and get the personal ID code at the same time when you are granted the municipality of residence.

Note! Exchange or international joint master's students (staying in Finland less than 1 year) are not necessarily required to register the municipality of residence since they have not moved to Finland on permanent basis and thus are not usually granted a permanent home municipality in Finland. If there is a need for a Finnish personal ID-code (e.g. taxation) and code has not been issued before (with residence permit application or EU citizen's registration by Migri), it can be applied at DVV.

titleGet a public transportation card with the student discount (HSL)

Degree students:

Once you have registered your municipality of residence, you can get the HSL travel card with student discount. See instructions

Exchange students and international joint master's students:

You can get for the HSL travel card with a student discount after your arrival. See instructions.

titleMake a notification of move

Degree students

Not required (you address will be registered when applying for the municipality of residence).

Exchange students and international joint master's students

You should make a notification of move within one week of your arrival in Finland. This can be done by filling out a form available at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV) or at post office (Posti). If you register your municipality of residence at DVV, it is easiest to fill out the notification of move at the same time.

All students

Remember to make a notification of move if you later on move inside Finland and also when you leave Finland.

Please remember to update any changes in your contact information also to the university’s database. You can do this online in the student register system WebOodi.

titleOpen a bank account

Read information about opening a bank account under Financial matters.

titleOrder a university library card

Get a library card for the university library.