Credits: 84 ECTS cr
Programme director: Assistant Professor Kirsi Eräranta
A student graduating from the Corporate Communication Programme will have a thorough understanding of the strategic role of corporate communication for business operations;
- the specialist areas of corporate communication, e.g. intercultural communication and corporate responsibility communication;
- the theoretical foundations of communication and media research; and
- communication as social interaction.
A student graduating from the Corporate Communication Programme will have the abilities to
- manage the stakeholder relations involved in the various specialist areas of corporate communication;
- analyse, plan and conduct corporate strategy work from the perspective of communication;
- apply appropriate theory and methods to produce new knowledge related to communication and media; and
- argue convincingly and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
Erna Bodström, Doctoral Candidate, Communication, University of Helsinki
Jouni Heinonen, CEO, Pohjoisranta Burson-Marsteller Oy
Laura Kaustinen, Director, Communications & Training, ProCom ry / Oy
Auli Packalen, Marketing Director, Communicea Oy
Atte Palomäki, Executive Vice President, Communications & Branding, Wärtsilä Corporation
AaltoBIZ internal members:
Rita Järventie-Thesleff, Professor-of-practice
Anne Kankaanranta, Senior University Lecturer
Marja-Liisa Kuronen, Senior University Lecturer
Johanna Moisander, Professor, Vice Program Director
Pekka Pälli, Senior University Lecturer
Berit Söderholm, Study Coordinator
1-2 student members from student association KY-Comms
Chair: Assistant Professor Kirsi Eräranta
Additional information: Department of Management Studies / Organizational communication
Degree requirements 120 cr
1. Programme studies 84 cr
Mandatory studies 60 cr
|Teaching period(s) / Recommended year of studies|
|77E27000||Change Management and Communication 1)||6 cr||II / 1st year studies|
|21E00011||Doing Qualitative Research 2)||6 cr||II; IV / 1st year studies or 2nd year autumn studies|
|77E28000||Corporate Responsibility Communication||6 cr||III / 1st year of studies|
I-II; IV-V / 2nd year studies
77E99907 1/3 Research plan (10 cr)
77E99908 2/3 Findings (10 cr)
77E99909 3/3 Submitted thesis (10 cr)
I-V / 2nd year studies
See Master's Thesis Seminar
I; III / 1 st year spring or 2nd year studies
1) The course on Managing Corporate Communication (75E00100) is not available anymore. Instead
students take the course on Change Management and Communication (77E27000).
2) Students will take the course on Doing Qualitative Research (21E00011) instead of Corporate
Communication Research (75E11000), which is not available anymore.
3) Courses on Organizational Communication, book exam (75E22000) and Corporate Communication
Practices (75E12000) are not available anymore; if a student has only completed Organizational
Communication, book exam (75E22000) she/he can substitute the course on Corporate Communication
Practices by taking Business Presentations (75E24000) or Business Negotiations (75E25000); if a student
has only completed Corporate Communication Practices (75E12000) she/he has to take the course on
Corporate Responsibility Communication (77E28000) (6 cr). In case a student has not completed either
of the courses she/he has to complete 77E28000 Corporate Responsibility Communication.
*) The course is not available anymore.
Elective studies 24 cr
Choose at least 2 courses (12 cr) from the following:
|77E00200||Strategy Communication 4)||6 cr||II|
|75E21000||Corporate Communication in Global Contexts 5)||6 cr||*)|
|77E21000||Intercultural Communication 5)||6 cr||IV|
|77E18000||Organizational Communication 7)||6 cr||I|
|77E00800||Special Topics in Organizational Communication 8)||3-6 cr|
|77E00902||Project Work **)||6 cr|
4) Communication in Strategy Work is not available anymore; the replacing course is Strategy
5) Corporate Communication in Global Contexts is not available anymore; the replacing course is
Intercultural Communication (77E21000).
6) Available only in academic year 2018-19.
7) Organizational Communication and Leadership (75E18000) is not available anymore; the replacing
course is Organizational Communication (77E18000).
8) The course is usually taught by a visiting lecturer. The topic can vary year by year. The course is not
necessarily provided every year.
*) The course is not available anymore.
**) Must be approved in advance by the Programme Director.
|Students can also include two courses – maximum – in their programme electives from the course offerings of the Department of Management Studies.|
Other Course substitutions must be approved in advance, contact your Planning Officer.