Suomeksi | På svenska
For the students of the schools of CHEM, ELEC, ENG and SCI:
Bachelor’s students have several options to fulfil the degree requirements of 3 ECTS in oral (o) and written (w) proficiency.
1. Standard option: LC-1114 Communicating Technology and LC-1121 Communicating Sustainable Solutions are recommended for most Bachelor's students.
2. Online option: For students with busy schedules or wishing to work more independently, we recommend a combination of LC-1110 Online Writing Skills for Engineers 1 (1 ECTS) and LC-1112 Online Presentation Skills for Engineers (2 ECTS), OR LC-1111 Online Writing Skills for Engineers 2 (1 ECTS) and LC-1112 Online Presentation Skills for Engineers (2 ECTS).
3. Independent study option: For students wanting to study more independently, we recommend LC-1113 Autonomous Language Learning Path. This is especially suitable for students with diverse learning needs, such as dyslexia, ADHD, and social anxiety.
4. Integrated English option: In many courses or programs across Aalto, language teaching has been integrated into the subject course content. Students can only undertake these English studies if they are enrolled in the collaborating subject course; it is not possible to enroll separately. These courses include LC-1117 Integrated Oral and Written Skills for most course integrations and LC-1118 Aaltonaut Communication Skills for students in the Aaltonaut Bachelor Minor program.
5. AHOT / RPL option: For students who have developed their field-specific language skills outside of university studies, we provide Recognition of Prior Learning whereby students can choose an existing English course and demonstrate that they have achieved the skills earlier to complete the course assignments. It should be noted that this option also requires significant time and effort on the part of students to complete, and it is not possible for students to get peer/teacher feedback on early drafts in preparing the submissions.
For Master's students, we recommend LC-1310 Academic Communication for MSc Students, which covers both written and spoken skills (3 ECTS). For support in thesis writing, a suitable course is LC-1320 Thesis Writing for Engineers (MSc) (3 ECTS). For students whose thesis writing process has stalled, we recommend LC-1316 Thesis Factory (w)(3 cr) to get additional support to get back on track. For students whose departments do not offer a Master's Thesis seminar, we recommend LC-1315 Tools for Master's Thesis.
If you have previously completed university-level foreign language credits in English, then you can apply for a transfer of credit provided that the courses meet the Aalto university regulations for foreign language studies. Note that studying your specialised subject in English does not qualify. To apply, contact your school's Study Planner. The Language Centre is occasionally asked to consult, but we do not grant these credits.
Doctoral students seeking support in writing should register for LC-1350 Writing Doctoral Research for Technology (3 ECTS), and those wanting to improve their presentation skills for conferences or seminars should sign up for LC-1330 Presenting Doctoral Research (3 ECTS). We also offer LC-1335 Preparing for the Doctoral Defense (o)(1 cr) and LC-1336 Popularize your Research (o, w) (1-3 cr).
For Aalto Staff and Faculty, we provide several courses. Please check Workday Learning.