MA thesis form
MA thesis form in finnish - Opinnäytelomake
Master's thesis evaluation criteria
The Department of Design thesis presentation and evaluation dates are published and updated in: https://djs.aalto.fi/thesis-presentations/
- Complete the MUO-E0004 Thesis Seminar and write your thesis plan. Topics are discussed in a meeting with the supervisors
- Present your completed thesis plan in a FaCT thesis plan presentation session. Please meet your supervising professor before that (Hirvonen, Salolainen or Niinimäki) so that your written thesis plan is ready to be accepted in the presentation session and send your plan to Pirjo Hirvonen, Maarit Salolainen, Annamari Vänskä and Kirsi Niinimäki no later than two days prior to the session. Please prepare a short presentation of your thesis work.
Presentations in 2019-2020: 4 December 2019, room Q201; Väre
- If you have completed your thesis seminar independently, you still need to present your topic in the presentation session with the others.
- Your thesis topic will be valid and the advisors will be nominated for one year's time period.
Productive component as a unique event
- If your productive component is a unique event that cannot be reproduced as such (e.g. exhibition, discussion, pedagogical experiment, performance), you must request for examiners for your thesis well in advance of the event. Submit the preliminary abstract of your thesis to your supervisor who will propose the examiners to the thesis committee.
- The examiners of the work must acquaint themselves with the unique production and the related documentation. If this is not possible, the examiners acquaint themselves with the production only on the basis of documentation. Producing adequate documentation for the evaluation of the thesis is the responsibility of the student.
Submitting the thesis for evaluation
- Submit your thesis to Turnitin plagiarism prevention software Instructions and deliver the report to your thesis advisor or supervisor to be checked (must be Aalto personnel)
- For submitting your final thesis first get the approval from you advisor and then the approval from your supervisor. Make sure they have enough time to read the work. NOTE: Please contact your supervisor and advisor(s) well in advance to ask how much time they need to read the final work and approve your thesis to be submitted for examination.
- See instructions for writing an abstract (above) Please use the Aalto abstract form (also above)
- Write the abstract in two languages if you have been educated in Finnish or Swedish (in your school education language AND English). In other cases the abstract is written only in English. Your supervisor approves your abstract as a maturity test.
- Submit the abstract to the planning officer / study coordinator of your programme by email 2 weeks prior to the thesis submission deadline. Contact
- You may suggest prospective examiners of your thesis to your supervisor. Thesis committee will decide and name the examiners.
- Create an PDF/A copy of your final work (see instructions above) NOTE! Thesis MUST be in PDF/A format!
- Submit the work to eAGE by the deadline.
- If your thesis consists artistic or productive parts, please schedule the examination for artistic or productive part of your thesis with the examiners at latest 2 weeks prior to the thesis examination session.
- During campus lockdown thesis examination sessions will be arranged remotely, detailed instructions will be given to the students closer to the event.
In thesis presentation you will present your work to the examiners and audience (max. 25 minutes + discussion 20 minutes) and get feedback and questions from the examiners. Remember to schedule the presentation for the productive or artistic part of your thesis with the examiners at least 14 days prior to the actual thesis presentation!
- Answer to the Master's graduation survey questionnaire
- Hand in the electronic application for degree certificate and graduation Instructions
| Thesis Schedule 2019-2020|
| Hand in Abstract |
Hand in Thesis
| Presentation|| Application for graduation DL|| Graduation ||Graduation Ceremony|
|9 Sept 2019|| 23 Sept 2019|| 21-25 Oct 2019||2 Dec 2019||31 Dec 2019||31 Jan 2020*|
14 Oct 2019
| 28 Oct 2019|
25-29 Nov 2019
|2 Dec 2019||31 Dec 2019|
31 Jan 2020*
|10 Dec 2019||31 Dec 2013||28 Jan 2020||24 Feb 2020||24 Feb 2020||31 Mar 2020|
24 Feb 2020
| 9 Mar 2020|| 6-10 Apr 2020||27 April 2020||27 April 2020|10 Jun 2020* CANCELLED
|13 Apr 2020||27 Apr 2020||25-29 May 2020||29 Jun 2020||29 Jun 2020**||31 Aug 2020|
All graduated students during the academic year are invited to the Aalto graduation party 10 Jun 2020. There is still a separate graduation ceremony for ARTS students also in 10 Jun 2020 where the degree certificates are handed out. THESE EVENTS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED, More information will be given once the campus is opened again. Students will graduate according to given schedule, but the degree certificates will be handed later.
**NOTE! If you are graduating after 27 April 2020 your degree certificates will be ready and handed out in the next graduation ceremony 31.8.2020
Thesis presentation dates for FaCT students in 2020:
Presentation week in May: 25-26.5.2020
| Thesis Schedule 2020-2021|
| Hand in Abstract |
Hand in Thesis
| Presentation|| Application for graduation DL|| Graduation ||Graduation Ceremony (will be updated later)|
|7 Sept 2020|| 21 Sept 2020|| 19-23 Oct 2020||26 Oct 2020||26 Oct 2020|
26 Oct 2020
| 9 Nov 2020|
7-11 Dec 2020
|31 Dec 2020||31 Dec 2020|
|1 Mar 2021||15 Mar 2021|
12-16 Apr 2021
|(updated later)||(updated later)|
26 Apr 2021
| 10 May 2021||7-11 Jun 2021||(updated later)||(updated later)|
PLEASE NOTE that the thesis submitting deadlines are set for the whole Department of Design - if you miss the hand in deadline or the presentation itself, your next chance for presenting is in the next presentation week! No exceptions will be made.
Appealing against a thesis grade
Students dissatisfied with the grade of their thesis or doctoral dissertation may appeal against the decision in writing to the Aalto University Academic Appeals Board within 14 days of receiving notification of the decision. When calculating the appeal period, the day of notice shall not be included. The appeal shall arrive at the university before the closing time of the Registry (at 15.00) on the deadline date.
If the student is notified of the decision by an electronic message (by e-mail), the notification is deemed to have been received by the student on the third (3) day after mailing, unless proven otherwise.
If the student is notified of the decision by mail, the notification is deemed to have been received by the student on the seventh (7) day after mailing unless proven otherwise.
Address to the Aalto University Academic Appeals Board:
Aalto University Academic Appeals Board
P.O. BOX 11000 FI-00076 AALTO
The appeal must specify the following:
1) student name, degree programme and contact information (address, e-mail address and telephone number)
2) date of student receiving notification of the decision
3) decision (incl. name of thesis and name of person responsible for grading)
4) change sought with the appeal
5) grounds for the appeal (incl. copies of documents on which the student bases their appeal if not already submitted to Aalto University).